Directions: Select the best answer for each of the following questions and then click on the submit button.
1. The circulatory system is responsible for. . .
the transport of dissolved materials throughout the body.
the transport of oxygen from the lungs and nutrients from the digestive tract to every cell in the body.
the transport of the waste products of cell metabolism to the lungs and kidneys where they can be expelled from the body.
the transport of hormones and certain cells of the immune system.
all of the above.
2. The lymphatic system serves. . .
to collect and recycle fluid that has leaked out of the capillaries.
to phagocytize, or ingest, bacteria, old red blood cells, etc.
to phagocytize, or ingest, impurities such as toxins and cellular waste.
as an important part of the immune system.
all of the above.
3. The blood cells responsible for the transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide are the. . . platelets
white blood cells
red blood cells
all of the above
4. Fighting infection and foreign invaders is one of the primary functions of the . . .
erythrocytes (red blood cells)
leukocytes (white blood cells)
none of the above
5. Pernicious anemia results when the person’s stomach fails to produce intrinsic factor, which is necessary for the normal absorption of vitamin . . .
6. The single major cause of artery disease is ___________, the thickening and hardening of arterial walls by deposits of fatty materials.
7. This herb, from which the drug digitalis was derived, was brewed by American Indians to treat dropsy (edema due to heart problems):
8. True or False:
Since heart disease is mostly a result of heredity, there is little that we can do to prevent it.
9. This herb has been shown to be effective in helping normalize high blood pressure. It has also proven useful as a “blood thinner,” since it inhibits blood clotting; and has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels for those who have high serum cholesterol.
10. This herb is widely used by herbalists around the world for cardiac problems, particularly to strengthen a weakened heart. Scientists have discovered that it also dilates blood vessels allowing blood to flow more freely and thereby lowers the blood pressure. It also acts directly on the heart muscle to help heal damaged heart tissue.
11. This “vitamin-like” enzyme and strong antioxidant is necessary for the cells to produce energy. Studies have shown that most heart patients are deficient in this enzyme and that supplementation can sometimes dramatically relieve heart disease symptoms. Remarkable results have been noted particularly in patients with congestive heart failure.
12. This trace mineral is synergistic with Vitamin E and has been shown to help protect against coronary artery disease, cerebrovascular disease, and peripheral vascular disease. Animals who have had their diets supplemented with this mineral have been found to live 50% longer.
13. This herb is the most popular herbal food in Germany and France, outselling other herbal products by 20 percent. It contains flavonoids like quercetin. Quercetin is the “magic” ingredient in red wine that helps protect the French from heart disease. It helps prevent heart attack by preventing cholesterol oxidation.
14. Also known as “blood sugar,” this is a normal constituent of blood and a major source of body energy:
15. _________ refers to the physical processes and chemical reactions occurring within a living cell or organism that are necessary for life.
16. The process whereby one cell ingests or “eats” another, as when a white blood cell destroys an invading organism or a damaged body cell by engulfing it, is known as . . .
17. Herbalists often combine herbs into formulations, usually selecting herbs that are ______ with each other.